Sunday, November 4, 2012

On a personal note...

I was briefly hospitalized this week for an upper extremity deep vein thrombosis. My entire right arm turned blue and swelled to twice its normal size. This is a rare condition for an otherwise healthy, non-smoking 35-year-old, and the jury's still out on why this happened to me. But the most common cause, aside from injury or surgery, is prolonged sitting. Against the possibility that the clots originated in my legs and migrated to my shoulder, I'm converting my work station to a standing desk by raising the whole thing on concrete blocks. I'll resume work on Weapon M this week.

The moral of the story is that nobody's safe. If this can happen to a young, fit guy with an $800 office chair (hooray for thrift stores!) it can happen to anyone. If you don't want to convert to a standing desk, download an egg timer app and take frequent breaks. Computers are awesome, but please, don't let them kill you!

No comments:

Post a Comment