Sunday, January 20, 2013

On second thought...

Having spent the last two weeks converting my projects to use Maven and Git, I'm not sure that I've gained anything. Both tools seem to hold a lot of theoretical promise, but they're also so complicated that it's a formidable challenge to use them at all, much less use them properly. I deleted and re-created my repos on Github several times before I thought I was satisfied. Now I realize that I was not so much satisfied as I was tired of messing around with it. I may end up deleting them permanently, including my forks of Automaton and Prefuse which I've now screwed up by committing their conversion to Maven builds. I'm sure there's a way to revert one commit out of many, just as there is apparently a way to create a pull request for just one commit. But I don't want to waste any more time fighting with tools that are too clever for their own good. I don't want to be a Git lawyer. So it's back to the integrated Eclipse builder, back to Subversion, and back to work on my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment