Friday, May 27, 2011

Overview

As a programmer, I have a bad habit of reinventing the wheel. I've devoted vast energies over the years to algorithms and data structures that I could easily have sourced from elsewhere, had I not been so neurotic about "bloating" my projects with "unnecessary" libraries. My fascination with implementation details produced some pretty groovy stuff, like a Java thread pool years before Java's standard library offered thread pools. But it didn't produce very many complete apps. I rationalized that coding was just a hobby that I enjoyed for its own sake — that it wasn't a means to an end, but an end in itself.

Well, I'm over it.

I've been working on this project for a little over a month now. I was surprised how quickly it started coming together once I decided to use existing libraries whenever I could. Instead of spending months writing my own persistence API, I spent two weeks comparing the options and studying the one I settled on, JPA2. Then I spent day or two each on Apache Commons Configuration and Apache log4j. I even pulled in Apache Commons Codec for the sake of one little hash function. I'm not writing anything I don't have to!

That said, after experimenting with several alternatives, I decided to roll my own client-server protocol. That decision cost me two weeks, but I'm very happy with it. The details will be the subject of my next post.

One of my top-level design goals was to make everything modular and scalable — a modern MMO, writ small. For the sake of simplicity, I chose not to create separate services for authentication or inter-client messaging. Both of these will be part of the game server. But in the unlikely event that I ever need to run clusters of game servers to handle thousands of clients, they will be relatively easy to refactor.

There are five major components:

  • the game logic, contained in a Java application

  • the game data, stored in a relational database

  • a Web interface for account management and scoreboards

  • a client-server protocol, implemented as a Java library

  • a simple reference client, also written in Java





I'm calling the reference client a "telnet bridge" because it will function either as a stand-alone client, or as middleware to provide a text interface for traditionalists and casual players. I want people to be able to check out the game without installing anything.

I should probably count this blog as the sixth component, as much time as it takes to write. But I enjoy it; it helps me put things in perspective. Programming is a hobby I can easily get sucked into at the expense of all else good in my life. I'm pacing myself by aiming for one milestone worthy of writing about each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment